One Weekend a Month Format
15 Weekends between October 2019 and December 2020
New Program Begins October 4, 2019
When you enroll in the Himalayan Institute’s 500-hour teacher training program, you don’t just train to become a better yoga teacher—you get the opportunity to participate in one of the most respected and comprehensive teacher training programs available. Our teachers have a wealth of experience – both in teaching hours and years of personal practice. Through their guidance, you will acquire the wisdom and knowledge to confidently interpret and convey the deeper meaning of yoga. Meet the faculty here.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program offers yoga teachers from all styles and backgrounds the opportunity to advance their studies in a truly impactful way. Our teachings have been passed down from the Living Tradition of the Himalayan Masters and are rooted in the ancient yogic scriptures.
The Himalayan Institute 500-hour teacher training course includes in-depth application of:
- Advanced studies in teaching methods
- Sequencing strategies
- Verbal and hands-on assists
- Practical application of subtle body anatomy (chakras, prana vayus, nadis) in asana practice and teaching
- Dynamics of prana as the healing force
- Yogic applications for common structural, physiological, and emotional challenges
- Study and contemplation of the Yoga Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita
Explore advanced applications of yoga for mental and physical well-being, acquire an authentic understanding of the eight limbs of yoga through an in depth study of essential yogic texts, and attain a first-hand experience of ancient techniques in pranayama (breathing techniques), pratyahara (sense withdrawal), and meditation.
Whether you wish to develop your skills for teaching yoga classes or broaden your personal application of yoga through an advanced teacher training course, our 500-hour program is an excellent way to become proficient in concepts initially touched upon in 200-hour courses.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program is a 15 weekend program that consists of 3 modules, each 5 weekends in length. This immersive format gives you the opportunity to step away from the responsibilities and demands of daily life, allowing you to focus completely on deepening your personal practice and developing your skills as a yoga teacher in a spiritually supportive environment. You will connect with other teachers from all over the Western New York area and Canada making life-long friends and new networking opportunities in the process.
This 500-hour yoga teacher training course is certified through Yoga Alliance.
Advanced Teaching Methods: Exploring the Heart of Yoga Teaching and Philosophy
Oct 4-6, 2019
Nov 1-3, 2019
Dec 6-8, 2019
Jan 17-19, 2020
Feb 7-9, 2020
As we continue in our teaching and personal practice, it is not uncommon to find ourselves becoming stagnant and feeling a strong desire to explore more than what we’ve been habitually doing. The Teaching Methods Segment is a chance for you to deeply examine your own personal practice and teaching style and then refine and develop this further. You will begin to cultivate a relationship with the more subtle practices of yoga, using the Yoga Sutra as a foundation, and learn more about breathing, sense withdrawal, and meditation from both a personal and professional standpoint.
This segment of our teacher training course will focus on:
- Refining your ability to deliver effective, efficient, and elegant verbal instruction
- Developing your skills of observation and intuitive sensitivity to students’ needs
- Understanding the deeper dimensions of yogic breathing for nervous system balance and as a support for deeper spiritual practices
- Learning to offer students guided, systematic relaxations that increase prana and prepare students for meditation
- Practicing traditional yogic meditation techniques
- Participating in an in-depth study of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra that will make this ancient text come alive as a support for your practice and teaching
- Developing the subtle aspects of yoga, including breathing, sense withdrawal, and meditation
- Enhancing your credibility as a yoga teacher by skillfully incorporating Sanskrit into your teaching and learn a set of traditional Sanskrit prayers and chants
Awakening the Subtle Body: Chakras, Pranayama, and Sacred Texts
March 6-8, 2020
April 3-5, 2020
May 1-3, 2020
June 12-14, 2020
July 24-26, 2020
This part of our 500-hour yoga teacher training program is more inward and reflective. You will dive deeply into a personal study of subtle body anatomy, working with the concepts of chakras and prana vayus in a practical and grounded way. You will learn how to apply this experiential knowledge to your own practice and teaching and expand your capacity to develop intelligent and energetically balanced class sequences. Learning to sequence energetically will help your students cultivate the ability to sustain an inner focus that serves as a foundation for meditation. During this segment, we will also look at the Bhagavad Gita and learn how the ancient dialogue between Arjuna and Krishna can give us insight into the battlefield of life.
In this segment of our teacher training course, you will:
- Refine your understanding of chakras as doorways to pure consciousness and integrate this knowledge into the practice of asana with a chakra focus
- Develop or deepen your personal practice of pranayama and learn how to offer these potent practices to students in a balanced and practical way
- Learn more about the five prana vayus in relation to breathing, prana, and pranayama
- Refine your skills of effective and powerful class sequencing
- Participate in an in-depth study of the Bhagavad Gita as a foundation for understanding the four paths of yoga, dharma, and the wheel of karma
- Practice time tested yogic meditation techniques to develop or deepen your personal meditation practice, and teach meditation fundamentals to your students
- Enhance your credibility as a yoga teacher by skillfully incorporating Sanskrit into your teaching and learn a set of traditional Sanskrit prayers and chants
The Art of Teaching Yoga for Health and Balance: Deeper Physical and Psychological Strategies
August 21-23, 2020
September 11-13, 2020
October 9-11, 2020
November 6-8, 2020
December 4-6, 2020
This segment of our 500 hour yoga teacher training course will focus on developing techniques that help you support students with common structural and physiological problems in the classroom. This module will also teach you to use yoga and ayurveda to harness prana and counteract the harmful effects of chronic stress, mental degeneration, physical discomfort, and emotional imbalances. As a practitioner, you will develop personal strategies and practices for understanding yourself and for handling life’s ups and downs with greater ease.
This segment of our teacher training course will teach you to:
- Understand prana as a powerful healing force and as a pillar that supports the body and the mind
- Use the practice of asana to become aware of habits and imbalances in the body and to establish new, helpful patterns of pranic flow
- Deepen your understanding of the nervous system and how chronic stress sets the stage for disease and imbalance
- Learn how yoga psychology and philosophy can support mental and emotional health
- Develop a set of practical strategies and practices for coping with pain and suffering
- Become more familiar with common structural and physiological problems and understand how the holistic science of yoga can help
- Discover how a basic understanding of ayurveda can support the practices of yoga by enhancing overall vitality and balance
This program is offered in a 15 weekend format between October 2019 – December 2020. Over the 15 weekends the following topics will be covered Advanced Teaching Methods, Awakening Vital Energy, and Yoga as a Healing Art. In order to receive certification, participants must complete the 15 weekend course hours, and submit a teaching log of 100 hours taught from the time of their 200-hour certification.
Program Timeframe: October 4, 2019 – December 6, 2020 (one weekend per month)
Weekend Schedule: Friday 5:30pm – 8:30pm, Saturday 9am – 6pm, Sunday 9am – 5pm
Prerequisite: 200-hour teacher certification from a YA accredited yoga school
Tuition: $4,499 / Payment plan available
Payment Plan Details:
• Initial Deposit: $789 / EARLY BIRD $489 until June 21st $300 DISCOUNT!
reserves your seat and covers the tuition for Weekend 1
• 14 Monthly Payments due at the beginning of Weekends 2-15: $265